Friday, December 3, 2010

The Little Things

I've decided to try and do little things for each person as much as possible on very little budget. For instance, I took Samantha to the movies last week alone. Then on Saturday I took Alyssa shopping with me and we had a little lunch. The one on one time seems so important especially in our busy life.

. . . take today for example. With routine lab work we found out that Samantha needs more thyroid hormone. And we've noticed some of the symptoms like overly dry skin and some sadness, but it's easy to attribute that to the weather or her worry for Daddy. Last night just after 6:30 she asked to go to bed. We hadn't noticed that all of these things including the tiredness were her body asking for more hormone. It made me and Al very sad and left us feeling helpless. So today I decided that after school I would take Samantha to Starbucks for some hot chocolate.

Samantha was so excited she was bouncing off the chair most of the time. She didn't want to leave until she'd consumed every last drop of her hot chocolate. And then she opened up a little . . . "Mom," she said, "I'm not very good at jump rope. I keep trying but I can't do it. Everyone in my class can do it." So we talked about how she doesn't have to be good at everything but how she should try. I told her I wasn't very good at science but I love to write and read.

I just love those moments.

No comments: