Sunday, May 29, 2011

Drumroll . . . The Master Bath

Our Master Bath is done. And it only took three months!!

Now, I didn't take before pictures because I didn't even think about it. We all know what a lovely tract house bathroom looks like: particle board cabinets, fake marble top, and a large standard mirror.

Eighteen months ago, on a whim, we bought a beautiful, free-standing vanity with porcelain sinks and a real marble top for nearly a quarter of the Pottery Barn price. And it looks the same as Pottery Barn's vanity, but it is about 6 inches shorter, which is perfect because the PB one was too large anyhow. The vanity has been in our bedroom, covered in an old sheet, for all those months collecting folded laundry.

We were undecided about the wall and the mirror until Al and my dad pulled it down. The knuckleheads at the glass company who installed it had glued it to the wall. Al and Dad managed to get it off without cutting themselves, but we were left with a pock-marked wall nearly torn down the the rock. My mom suggested bead board to cover the wall and thus we were saved from trying to figure out how to salvage the wall. So we extended the bead board to line up with the tub surround. It was perfect.

A few coats of paint, some beautiful mirrors, and a difficult installation (pipes were a challenge) of the vanity and we have the most beautiful bathroom! It feels like a spa and we love it.




No major projects on the horizon, but I am painting the built-in cabinets in the hallway. These are half veneer and half oak, so if the paint adheres and it looks okay, I might try the kitchen cabinets. But I'm getting away from myself. I've got to work on Samantha's desk before school starts again in August.  . . . . One thing at a time.

No comments: