Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I've got THE DISEASE

Happy July.

We've already had a busy week and it looks like we'll be staying that way until school starts. On one hand it's a good thing because it keeps the kids occupied, but sometimes I wish they'd just rest. I know, they're 3 and 6. Who am I kidding?!

I have a modified work schedule for two weeks--I'm in week two. I start at 5 AM. I like being an early riser but technically starting work at 5 AM is not something this 34 year old body likes. I miss the resiliency of my late teens and twenties. I'm sure I'll be saying this for the next 60 years.

This weekend my mom and I got to escape to the fabric store without kids. I wanted to make a 4th of July wreath using fabric strips. It looked like something I could manage. I'm proud of my work--it took about 2.5 hours.

Mom and I got to spend at least an hour looking around and dreaming of projects we could make. While we were looking at the red-tagged remnants fabrics I started to "'ooh" and "ahh" at the textures, colors, fabric in general. I sighed, "I want this." My mom asked, "What are you going to do with it?" "I don't know," I replied.

Then she says, "Oh no, you have THE DISEASE."

Now I'll I need is a badge to wear in the fabric store that says "I have THE DISEASE." Every single patron in the store and the ladies at the fabric cut counter will congratulate me. . . . A girl can dream.

So I came away with fabric to make 3 pairs of pajamas for the girls, 2 scarf fabrics and a skirt fabric for me, fabric to make a 49er grill apron for Al, and a Mr. Bones life-size fabric skeleton for Halloween. Let the craziness ensue. My mom is going to regret that she has a sewing room and that I have a key to her house.

No comments: