Saturday, January 11, 2014

At least once during the school week I find myself exhausted to the point that I don't even attempt to consider dinner. My typical crash-and-burn day is Thursday nights. This week it ended up as Friday.

Al came home from work, Samantha was playing on the computer, and Alyssa and I were playing Hidden Puzzle games on the couch while the contents of my purse were scattered on the living room floor. In the middle of that purse cleansing I found a gift card for Papa Murphys--hooray! Dinner!

I'm trying to be much better about budgeting this year. In am attempting to keep my exhaustion from resorting in more costly pizza nights. I don't like resolutions--I don't keep them. I consider this a habit change so maybe I'll follow through. I also figure that we'll waste less food.

I will admit that on average we have "breakfast dinner" once a week. This is the girls favorite dinner, but Al and I get tired of it. For the last few weeks I've been making quiches for me and Al. I bought quite a few pie crusts during the holidays and froze them. I have been using one recipe, modified for lactose intolerant folks (Lactaid instead of milk and Parmesan cheese instead of cream cheese). Then I throw in the kitchen sink--I use whatever vegetables we have and chopped deli ham if I'm really lazy. Al and I eat it for dinner and breakfast and any time in between. Hot or cold, it's my favorite food of late.

The original recipe can be found here: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/249035054368093250/.

Here is one of my modifications:

Ingredients:
1 9-inch pie crust (Pillsbury's refrigerated crust)
6 strips of cooked bacon (or three slices of deli ham, chopped)
Half a small onion, sliced and caramelized
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups nonfat milk (Lactaid)
1 tsp salt
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup partially cooked vegetable (broccoli, mushrooms, and/or asparagus work well)

Instructions:
Pre-bake the crust:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Roll out one pie crust and transfer to a pie dish. Place pie crust in freezer for 15 minutes. Line pie crust with greased foil, shiny side down, and weight with pie weights (or uncooked rice). Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the weights and the foil, bake for 10 more minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.

Quiche:
Whisk together the eggs, salt, and milk. Add 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
Caramelize the onions until they are brown.
Par-boil the broccoli and asparagus for 2 minutes, drain and then rinse in cold water.
Cook the bacon until browned. Drain grease. Chop into smaller pieces.

Layer the bacon, onions, and vegetables in the baked pie crust. Pour in egg mixture. Top with the 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. Place the pie pan on a cookie sheet and bake until golden brown and center is set, approximately 35 minutes.












No comments: