Monday, June 21, 2010

Summertime

Summer is here so now it feels like spring! Confused? Me too. The weather is more like April weather, minus the rain.

Today Samantha started swim lessons. She cried 20 out of the 30 minutes. I try hard to be patient with her, but it's difficult. She took swim lessons last year and knows how to do all these things, but she's acting like she's never been in the water before. I think it might be best if I actually sit outside the swim area or at the other pool.

I was always the kid who listened but would flaunt the rules in swim lessons. I loved the water and by 8 I was in the deep pool with kids much older than I. Samantha has a lot of fear about everything from food to cars to swimming. We talked about her fears and tried to reassure her that the lifeguards/instructors were there to protect her. I think tomorrow will be better. Constant exposure seems to be the key for her. Fingers crossed--it will be a better day tomorrow.

Mom and I had a garage sale on Saturday. We didn't get as many people as we would normally because it was a community-wide event. We did make a decent amount, however. I sold almost all my baby stuff minus a crib, car seat, and half my baby clothes. Yes, I said most. I had so many other "baby-related" things: car seats, strollers, swing, high chair, and other associated stuff. I'll hold on to them and in a few weeks I'll try again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jonathan is sometimes the same way with being afraid of everything from bugs to things like the doctor. Yes, even at 4 I think these kids freak out when they feel like they can't control their environment. Give them control(or an idea that they are) and the fear disappears.
I hear you on getting rid of the baby stuff. It's all a part of growing up.
Love ya guys