Saturday, August 6, 2011

Porcupine Therapy

I had my first acupuncture treatment today at 7 am, an hour drive from my house. I was alert (thankfully) and ready for some relief from my persistent migraines. Luckily I was in one of those migraines when I made the appointment. I had also noted that my ankles had been hurting again, but that it was likely due to my lack of exercise.

I got a needle in my head for the migraines, one in each arm above the elbow, one in each cheek next to my lip, and one in each ankle. I didn't really feel the ones in my face or head, but the ones in my ankles were somewhat painful. At first everything felt okay, but then the Dr. came in to manipulate the ones in my ankles to break up "the blockage." I was having a hard time relaxing after the manipulation so I started humming "Om." It worked at calming me and focusing my attention from the pain in my ankle--think a cramp in the arch and toes.

The Dr. described the body as an X and so the left ankle corresponds to the right arm and vice versa. This was certainly true when the ankle pain went away--I felt the muscles in my right shoulder relax and then my foot was fine.

I can't wait to see what next week will be like. I find ancient Chinese medicine fascinating.

No comments: