Saturday, January 21, 2012

Weathering the first winter storm

Last night we finally had our first winter storm of the season. It was gusty and made for a restless night. I even got up at 2 a.m. to make sure that the back yard wasn't flooding and the neighbor's palm tree wasn't leaning.

At 6:45 a.m. on a "Mommy and Daddy day," aka weekend, Alyssa came poking at my arm. She was hungry and her tummy was making "funny noises." So I got up . . . slowly. With the storm and little sleep I felt like I was waking up after partying all night.

I decided I'd feed Alyssa and then brew some coffee. My magazine, a cup of coffee, and cartoons sounded like the safest bet for me to work off the non-hangover hangover (thank you, Migraine-Brain!).

I didn't think that an hour later with a cuddly Alyssa by my side that I would think about how lucky I was. I got to spend time alone with my coffee, magazine, and a cuddly baby by my side.

How soon she won't want to cuddle with me and won't wake me up at 6:45 to make her breakfast. She'll be slamming doors in my face, rolling her eyes, and making her own breakfast--even driving.

Maybe at 6:45 tomorrow I'll wake up and she'll still be sleeping. And I'll miss her company--alone--with my coffee and magazine on the couch.

No comments: