Friday, August 23, 2013

We saw Samantha's ENT this week to see how a month on Nasonex helped her adenoids. It stopped the occasional snoring, but she still sleeps with her mouth wide open. Actually, it's a battle to get her to close her mouth when she eats and its probably because she can't breathe.

So the doctor suggested we consider removing the adenoids. Perfect timing. Next week she's scheduled for an endoscopy so we schedule the adenoidectomy at the same time--once under anesthesia.

I'm not looking forward to it, but I'm hoping it helps and she can get off some of her medications. A child should not have so much crap pumped into her body.

She's scared, of course, but should do fine. We have a great group of doctors who will take good care of her.


I think after this is done I'll take Alyssa into the ENT. I bet she's actually worse off than Samantha is with the lingering sinus infections. This year alone, Alyssa has been on antibiotics for about 4 months total and one of those was a 3-month stint. And she's in the middle of another infection. The poor kid is miserable.


I'm nervous, but prepared. When the endocrinologist suggested that we do this in August I nearly had a panic attack. I wasn't mentally prepared. Maybe that sounds silly, but I needed to wrap my mind around the whole thing. I needed to process the pros and cons. I need to be the one who can hold it together when she gets out of surgery and cries. I need to handle this on my own and not run for my own mom. In fact, I need my mom to hold the rest of my family up while I handle with this.

And when the day is done and Samantha is tucked into her bed, I'll break down. And that will be okay so long as I can hold it together and be her rock.

No comments: