Sunday, November 3, 2013

I am thankful for my acupuncturist, Stephen Chen. He's such an amazing man and has helped me so much.

Saturday, in the middle of my migraine, I went to see him. He could tell by my posture, the lines on my face, the dullness of my eyes, just how awful I felt.

I lay on the table, face down, with three needles in my neck. He touched the outside of my heel, but the ankle bone and I nearly screamed--a loud gasp of pain escaped and tears welled in my eyes. He didn't press hard, but apparently my migraine was in my feet too.

I stayed there for an hour and a half. I did feel much better after I left. Not completely cured, but much better.


Years ago, when my migraines were out of control and medicine was no longer effective, I sought out Mr. Chen. I was so desperate by then and I'd heard that acupuncture might help my headaches. I started with weekly sessions and then biweekly, and eventually monthly. My migraines nearly disappeared. I no longer needed my medicine.

Truthfully, I haven't kept up on the acupuncture this year. I got busy with softball and life and I didn't seek out my quarterly visits. And now that work-stress has a hold of me, I need him more than ever. I need to get back to that place where I can set my medication aside for 8 months to year.

There is nothing in my life more debilitating than a migraine. It affects my entire family. Not being able to care for my children is such a horrible feeling. But I'm confident that once I back on track I'll feel better again.

No comments: