Tuesday, December 22, 2009

And it isn't even Christmas

I'm busy working away trying to get all of this work off my plate since tomorrow begins my vacation and the phone rings. It's the hospital wanting to schedule a sleep study for Al. Huh? Okay, I love my husband, but why is it men always forget to tell us important things. So I spend 20 minutes calling insurance, Al, and the hospital to make sure the $5k out-patient procedure will be covered. Keep in mind that is before an insurance discount, but geez, that took my breath away. So after getting all that cleared we set it up for tomorrow night.

I just wish that Al could catch a break. No matter how hard he tries, how well he eats, he will always have high blood pressure. And no matter how much he runs and how much fat melts off, he's still considered overweight. A month ago he was disappointed when the scale said that he didn't shed a pound, when we've seen him shrink. But he's building some serious muscle as he runs. And I'm proud of him and, more importantly, he's proud of himself.

I'm keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that this sleep apnea test shows nothing. It all started with a swollen uvula (the dingle ball in the back of the throat) that nearly choked him one night. He ended up in the ER at 3 AM. Diagnosis: he'd developed an allergy to his blood pressure medication. Great.

I've always been a firm believer that God gives you what you can handle. I just wish He didn't think we could handle so much.

At any rate, Al will still run to lose weight and for his health and family, and for a terrific cause. Al joined Team in Training to run a marathon and more importantly raise money for the Leukemia, Lymphoma Society in recognition of my mother, who is suffering with Multiple Myeloma. Please take a minute to read Al's letter.

http://pages.teamintraining.org/sj/napa10/al_gonzalez

No comments: