Monday, November 15, 2010

Almost Here

My brother, Kevin, and I went to see Al today. He was dozing when we got there but wanted to wake so we talked for a bit. He looked really good. His incision was healing very well.

We had meetings with the Cardio Nurse and the Nutritionist to learn about home care. There are a lot of things to monitor each day, but they provide checklists for everything. They talked about discharging him on Tuesday, but he had a bit of a setback this afternoon.

Yesterday he started getting up and walking with a walker. It helped the pain to hold on to something. He was hoping to get a shower today, but had to prove he could walk and stand on his own. So this afternoon they laid him flat in bed and made him get up himself and then walk with the walker. That movement caused a spike in blood pressure and his oxygen level dropped so he had to go back on the oxygen. He was in a lot of pain and it took a lot out of him. Of course, he didn't get a shower.

So I'll find out tomorrow morning if will be discharged. I'd rather that he stay there if he need oxygen. I'm pretty sure he won't come home if this is the standard right now.

Al was disappointed that the man next to him was discharged, but Al is still far behind. My mom reminded me that a lot can change in 24 hours. So we'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments: