Thursday, October 3, 2013

I've been thinking a lot about "Work-Life Balance," which should be called "Life" balance because there is always work in life.

Like so many parents, I struggle with that life balance, between what is required and what I want. I've been far luckier than a lot of people because I have flexibility in my work schedule where I can be a library helper once a month or drive on the occasional field trip.

I'm still a tired mother. I grumble sometimes and on stressful days I wish I could quit my job, but truthfully I'd miss it tremendously.

I've been trying to step back, outside myself a bit, and think about how I want to live my life, how I want to engage my children. For example, I know it's easier to make pumpkin bread by myself, but they get such joy out of helping and I find little ways to teach my girls things like measuring math skills. And they take such pride in what they've accomplished.

I'm learning to let the dust bunnies sit a extra few days so that I can do a messy Halloween craft with the kids. And I feel better about it. I feel happier with the time I get to spend with them and, more than that, the quality of the time I spend with them.

And I want to them to look at me and feel happy, not resentful or neglected. I want them to know I love them and that they're wonderful, beautiful children.


No comments: